Saturday, August 24, 2013

Big Agnes Air Core Sleeping Pad Review

Dimensions: 20x78 inches for the "long" size
Weight: 23 oz.

The Big Agnes Air Core Sleeping Pad is the first sleeping pad that I've ever personally owned, and the second one I've ever used.  The first one I used was a big foam thing belonging to my husband: comfortable, but impractical for backpacking since it rolled up to about the size of a yoga mat.  This is the first sleeping pad I've used that is meant to be rolled up into a storable size, though I do find it to be a bit on the chunky side.

Rolled size comparison to a gallon of milk.  As I said, a bit on the chunky side.  However, there is a LOT of air space inside that stuff sack.  It could easily be squished down to a smaller size.

As it's name suggests, this sleeping pad requires inflation.  There is no pump, so you have to do it the old fashioned way.  I was a bit concerned about this at first because I tend to get light-headed when doing something as simple as blowing up a balloon, but it turns out this is really easy to inflate.  Once it's inflated, it holds its shape very well throughout the night.  I used it for three nights straight without having to re-inflate it.  Only by the morning after that third night did I think it could use a little topping off.  It does a fine job of insulating you against the ground on a warm night, and is rated for 35 degrees Fahrenheit and up.  I certainly wouldn't use it for anything colder.

Fully inflated (pillow not included).

The real question, of course, is how comfortable it is.  I would say that it's quite comfortable, but takes a little getting used to if you're not familiar with air pads.  It sort of feels like a really comfortable pool raft.  It certainly can't be called uncomfortable.  I slept just fine with it, and I'm a very picky sleeper.

So, what are the cons?  Well, the bigger size could be a drawback, and this is certainly not a winter sleeping pad.  It's also a bit slippery.  I found myself sliding off of it at night.  It's also very skinny.  I'm a small person, and even I had to be sure to concentrate so I wouldn't end up falling off the side of the mat.  There is an extra wide option if you are concerned about this.

Overall, the Big Agnes Air Core Sleeping Pad is a nice, affordable pad that will give you a little extra comfort at night in the tent.  And really, what more could you want?  I give it four out of five stars.


No comments:

Post a Comment