Sunday, April 14, 2013

Moose Trail

Location: Spencer Bay, Moosehead Lake, ME
Season Visited: Summer
Trail Length: approximately 1 mile there and back
Time to Hike: about an hour
Difficulty Level: 2

Moose Trail, the trail head of which is located in Casey's Spencer Bay Camps, is a hidden gem.  It is so precious to me that I almost considered not sharing it, because it is little-known (although that is changing) and is one of my favorite places in the world.  I have a very special connection with the area, mostly based in many summers spent there as an adolescent.  Some of my favorite moments in the state of Maine have been spent on this trail, and they are moments that I will never forget.

Since this trail has such nostalgic value for me, you'll have to forgive a few reminisces and more flowery language than I usually use.  To me, this trail represents everything beautiful.  The smell of pine, the colorful stones at Pebble Beach, the wildlife - all of these things make Moose Trail special.  I have walked the path many times.  One time I witnessed a fantastic sunset here (Spencer Bay has some of the most beautiful sunsets I've ever seen).  Another time some friends and I wandered down a side trail and got chased by an entire swarm of bees!  Okay - maybe that memory is only fond for me because I didn't get stung.  Ask my poor sister about it and you might hear a different story (she was stung ten times).  At least it was an adventure!

Don't let the bee story discourage you, though.  The trail is relatively bug-free as long as you don't go in June, during the black fly season.  Well, except for the dragonflies in the pond... and the spiders on the beach... and sometimes the horseflies around the water... but this is nature, folks!

So, Moose Trail begins at Casey's Camps.  There's pretty much nothing around there (the town of Greenville is like 45 minutes away), so you're really only there if you are camping there or staying somewhere else nearby on Moosehead Lake.  You begin on the Moosehead Lake side of the peninsula, up past camp site 8.  You'll see the beginning of the trail on this map of the camp ground, up in the left-hand corner.

Moose Trail follows the coast of the lake.  The trail is made of dirt and root, and the abundant pine trees and moss are truly spectacular.  You get a wonderful sense of solitude and peace if you walk this trail alone.  I love knowing that there is nothing around for miles and miles but nature.


A dense cluster of pine.  It becomes dark in this section no matter how bright the sun is shining, and you can't help but wonder what is lurking just beyond your line of sight.

Re-emerging into the light.

After walking through these pine woods, you will suddenly come to a strip of pebbled beach in between the lake and a small, lovely pond teeming with ducks and dragonflies.  There seems to always be little ducklings swimming around here, and they are pretty much the most adorable things on the planet.  I always stop here to admire the beauty of the lake and mountains on one side of me and the pond and forest on the other.

Pebbles beneath my feet.

Mama duck watching the babies.

The pond is very still and the reflections are beautiful.


One of the many blue dragonflies that live by the pond.

The lake view.



Keep going and you will re-enter the forest.  Right at the edge close to the pond lives a very friendly group of black-capped chickadees, the state bird of Maine.  You may know that black-capped chickadees are extremely sociable and can be easily trained to eat out of your hand.  Bring some birdseed along and see what happens!




Walk just a little further and you'll be out of the woods and at the end of the trail.  Here is your destination: Pebble Beach, a long stretch of, you guessed it, pebbled beach!  Bring a swimsuit and towel and take a dip. There are usually a few other people swimming here, and the view is gorgeous.  Don't worry about the little spiders, they're just trying to sun themselves.  Just remember to bring water shoes - the pebbles can hurt your feet and the waters house some crayfish!

Playing in the water.

Flowers on the rocks.


When you're finished playing, re-trace your steps and head back.

I hope you enjoy your hike on Moose Trail.  If you're back at Casey's before dark, don't forget to go "moose hunting" in your car on the road out of the camp!  Keep wandering, and enjoy your hike!

Moose on the loose!

Here is a video of a sunset at Moosehead Lake that I took a few years ago.


2 comments:

  1. Sounds and looks like a beautiful place. I went to Maine once (Acadia National Park) in summer and never wanted to leave. Might be time for another visit, nice post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Acadia is amazing! I've been there a few times as well and may be returning this summer. Maine as a whole is beautiful, I think.

      Delete