Sunday, April 28, 2013

Avebury Walking Trail

Location: Avebury, Wiltshire, England
Season Visited: Fall
Trail Length: There are many trails to take throughout Avebury.  The one I'm describing runs from the village to West Kennet Long Barrow, and is about 4 miles there and back.
Time to Hike: 2.5 hours
Difficulty Level: 2

I'm excited about this post because it's so different from the others I've posted in pretty much every way.  This is one of two real "trails" I've ever walked in another country, and that alone makes it something special.  I lived in England for a little over two months, and I saw countless extraordinary places while abroad, but Avebury was perhaps the most unique of them all.

Let me start by saying that Avebury is absolutely amazing.  If you have any interest whatsoever in the mysteries of ancient standing stones (and who doesn't?) then you need to come to Avebury.  I went to both Avebury and Stonehenge while I was abroad and found Avebury more fascinating and enjoyable in every way.

I lived in Oxford, and while I was there I took a different trip around the country every weekend.  Avebury was my first, which is undoubtedly part of the reason why I have such great memories of it.  My trip to Avebury was the first time I had ever really planned a trip for myself and was also the first time I took public transportation by myself.  I went to Avebury alone just to make sure I could, and it was a fantastic decision.

I began my tour of Avebury at the village and main henge.  Here is a lovely map of the area (the whole website is actually really awesome).  It was a perfectly English October day (cloudy with a chance of showers, then sun, then maybe some more showers...) and I had all of Avebury pretty much to myself.  It was heavenly.  I began just by walking around the village and main henge.  It was magical.


Sheep are everywhere... watch your step.


The little obelisks mark where stones used to be.  You can read about the destruction of some of the stones here.



When you go to Avebury, be sure to check out the church and the manor after enjoying this first set of stones.



After this main area is where the real fun begins.  Follow the trail south towards the amazing Silbury Hill.  The walk is beautiful.

Pass the stones.  Enter the trail.





Silbury Hill is beyond fascinating.  Read all about it.

Don't stop now!  After admiring Silbury Hill you have one more amazing stop to make... West Kennet Long Barrow.



It was kind of spooky in there.

The barrow is so cool, and is well worth the long walk to get there.  All you have to do now is enjoy the way back.


Obviously, Avebury is a truly breathtaking place.  I wish there were places like this in the U.S., places that connect you to people so much older than yourself.  They are few and far between, I think.  If you are ever lucky enough to have the opportunity, go to Avebury.  You won't regret it.  Enjoy your hike, and keep wandering.


No comments:

Post a Comment